Coming to Therapies for Kids
We believe in developing every child’s potential in a fun and all abilities environment. The following is a guide to accessing services at Therapies for Kids and includes answers to most of our frequently asked questions.Please feel free to contact us however if you have any more enquiries.
Call us on 02 9519 0966
or email us at email@example.com
We accept referrals from parents and carers as well as :
- General Practitioners
- Teachers / Preschool Educators
- Community Health Services
- Government and Non-government Agencies
Please call or email the offices if you would like an appointment. Opening hours are 8:00am - 5:30pm Mon to Sat and we accommodate before and after school needs. At your first visit you will be handed a Welcome Pack which will contain the administrative paperwork which will be necessary for you to complete. Please arrive about 10 minutes early so we can introduce you to our facilities and give you time to fill out all administrative information.
There are a number of funding initiatives to assist families and children who have specific needs. These include :
- Better Start for Children with Disability Initiative
- Helping Children with Autism
- Chronic Disease Management Plan (formerly the Enhanced Primary Care Plan/ Medicare Funding)
- Focused Psychological Strategies Plan (Better Access to Mental Health Care Plan / Medicare Funding)
- Private Health Funds
Accessing information regarding the above can be confusing. If you require further information, our Admin team will be happy to assist you. Alternatively, follow the links above to the relevant websites.
We understand that no two families are alike, so we aim to tailor your child’s services to suit your family’s needs. There are two treatment options available:
- Clinic-based sessions – scheduled for 1 hour appointments preferred - shorter sessions can be less effective due to consultation and required documentation
- Home or School-based sessions – scheduled for 1 hour appointments excluding travel time
Both options include:
45 to 50 minutes of direct treatment with your child, including transition time
5 minutes of consultation with the parent for follow-up and to provide ideas/strategies to try at home
5 - 10 minutes of documentation – this is an essential part of the treatment process so the therapist can keep track of your child’s progress and plan for the following sessions.Goals and priorities for treatment are developed in collaboration with your family, based on your family’s identified areas of concern and need. We aim to develop realistic, attainable goals that will make a real impact in the life of your child and family.
What to expect on your first appointment
We will endeavour to keep you fully informed throughout the treatment process while you and your child receive our specialist care.
At your first appointment please bring :
- Referral letters (if referred from any of those in the list above)
- Funding information
- Photos if relevant
If your child is attending for physiotherapy, please select clothes and footwear which will allow them to exercise; shorts are great to let the physio see exactly what is going on.
Your child's first appointment with a therapist from Therapies for Kids will:
- Make your child feel at ease and gather information whilst your child has fun
- Take a full history, identifying your main concerns for your child
- Conduct a thorough assessment, including standardised testing where appropriate
- Discuss the initial findings of your child’s assessment in non-technical language so you really understand what is going on
- Set goals with you and your child to direct therapy and make sure we address your greatest areas of concern
- Devise an intervention plan with you and your child. This will involve the setting of GAS goals.
We will also discuss with you how often your child will require treatment and what progress we would expect to be made.
You will always have the opportunity to discuss any concerns or questions you may have.