Therapies for Kids' Director, Debbie Evans, developed the Therapies for Kids Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program from skills she has developed to mastery (including therapies and treatments from around the world) after 40+ years working in Paediatric Physiotherapy.
We offer a unique, innovative and effective Intensive Therapy Program for infants through to adolescents with neuromuscular disorders and a variety of diagnoses. Intensive therapy is ideal for those looking to accelerate their progress in both functional and developmental skills. The therapy is delivered under the guidance of Debbie Evans on a one-on-one basis with an experienced and registered Therapist who, with you, will develop an individualised treatment plan for each child.
The Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program WILL CHALLENGE your child, helping them to maximise gains in strength and function in a short period of time.
Goals of Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program
- Improve independence with activities involving motor skills
- Improve body awareness
- Improve motor coordination and motor control
- Improve balance and improve open chained activities
- Our holistic approach focuses on developing functional motor skills and enhancing development of independence. During treatment sessions a variety of tools & techniques are utilised.
Tools used during a typical day
- Theratogs™ – soft dynamic proprioceptive orthoses
- Universal Exercise Unit / Spider Cage – results in balance control in partial supported weight bearing
- Enliten Harness System - allows hands free, 360 degree freedom of movement
- Medical Treadmill – results in partial supported gait training
- Pulley Systems
- Vibration Plate / Power Plate
- Functional Electrical stimulation
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy (CIMT)
Techniques used during a typical day
- Distal Balance Control/ CME – treatment to enhance vestibular and postural reactions and balance
- Open/Closed chain activities
- Strengthening/endurance training
- Motor-learning therapy
- Tone reduction
- Functional skill development
- Partial supported weight bearing training
- Neuro-developemental principles
- Sensory based activities
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy (CIMT)
- Bimanual activities
- Choice making
- Corrective behaviour
- Electrical stimulation
- Augmentative andAlternative Communication
A typical day at the Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program
- Warm up stretching range of movement
- Tone reduction and proprioceptive techniques
- Inhibition of abnormal movement patterns
- Develop active and functional movement patterns
- Progressive resistance exercises
- Closed/Open distal balance control, coordination and endurance training
- Transfers, functional activities and gait training
- Occupational Therapy and/or Speech Pathology sessions as required
Who is a Candidate?
- Children 18 months and older
- Children with neurological conditions including Cerebral Palsy, developmental delay, traumatic brain injury, stroke, muscle tone disorders, spinal cord injury, Spina Bifida, etc.
- Children with sensory processing disorders
- Children with genetic disorders including Down Syndrome
- Children in need of post-op rehabilitation such as post tendon releases, botox, Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR, Single Event Multilevel Surgery (SEMLs), etc.
Available places are determined by booking confirmations for the sessions on a first come first served basis. We feel that 3 week sessions are the optimal length but we are sensitive to families’ obligations and children’s needs so we endeavour to include flexibility by offering sessions of differing durations. All Therapies for Kids Intensive Therapy is delivered in the state of the art Gym and in individual therapy rooms (as required) at the Therapies for Kids premises in Sydney, Australia.
Within these session durations we offer a choice between 2, 3 and 4 hours per day. You will need to choose and nominate your required daily number of sessions (which will be dependant upon your child’s age, stamina and concentration ability) at the time of confirming your booking.
WORK!! This is the key component of the Therapies for Kids Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program. It has been our experience that children who participate in this program may initially respond with some resistance (i.e. crying and fussing). We monitor the child’s response closely and adjust the progression of the program accordingly, but we have found this to be difficult for some families. If this is the case, we may request that you leave the room for a period of time in order to help your child work through this stage.
In the last week of Therapies for Kids Intensive Paediatric Therapy Program, the caregiver is required to be available to attend each of the final five sessions to receive instruction on a tailored home program for your child as research has shown that children continue to progress with a home program and regular post-intensive therapy to support their intensive blocks.
All prices are in Australian dollars and are based on the recommended hourly rate published by the National Disability Insurance Agency. The final price will be dependant upon the number of treatment sessions nominated per day and the total duration of the chosen Intensive Therapy Program.
If you’re interested in our program, please fill out a contact form and we will contact you with further details including pricing options.
A $1000 deposit is required at the time you confirm your booking with the balance of the program total due and payable on or before the start of the program. Payment can be made by cash, credit card, or bank transfer.
All payments are non-refundable.