As the circumstances surrounding the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continue to develop, the Therapies for Kids team is committed to ensuring the wellbeing and safety of our clients, staff and the wider community whilst continuing to provide the highest quality services to our children and their families. The current guidelines issued by the Australian and NSW governments do not require Therapies for Kids to close and we will continue to trade as normal until such time as we are given a directive from the Government to close our doors. We do however understand that families may be self isolating during this time or may prefer to stay home if their child or other family members are at risk of contracting the virus. With these
barriers in mind, we are very proud to announce the launch of our Telehealth program, 'Telehealth for Kids'. This allows our therapist’s expert skills and knowledge to be adapted to a web based platform in order for us to deliver therapy online.
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth or video-conferencing allows us to coach parents and give them the skills to deliver therapy in their home. Therapists are able to assess children and offer advice/feedback to support them to maintain their level of function whilst they are unable to come into the centre. All you
need is a Smartphone, tablet or computer and an internet connection!
What are the benefits of Telehealth?
- Flexibility in our ability to provide therapy to clients at home.
- Therapists will work alongside parents to develop individualised therapy and education programs to be delivered online in a convenient and accessible manner without compromising the health and safety of our children, families and local community.
How will we run Telehealth?
Telehealth sessions will be conducted using “Google Meet”. Google Meet is available as an application and also accessible through your web browser. Families will be emailed a link prior to their session which they can click on at their allocated time in order to join the session. Further details on how to use Google Meet will be emailed to parents in the next few days.
What will a 'Telehealth for Kids' session look like?
- Under our current model, session times for existing clients will remain the same as per their current schedule. If your circumstances have changed having other children at home or you are now working from home, session times can be somewhat flexible. New clients will be allocated times as available when their appointment is made with reception.
- Tele-Kids will combine education and virtual therapy to conduct holistic sessions allowing parents to understand how to conduct their home sessions and the theory behind why each activity or exercise is important. Each therapist will have access to a Therapist’s Toolkit which includes everyday equipment items that families are likely to have access to in their home.
- Therapies will be able to demonstrate relevant activities or exercises that you can do with your child at home, using these items and offer real time advice and feedback on how you can help your child complete these tasks successfully.
- Therapies for Kids has also developed a number of digital resources, including handouts, videos and exercise programs which can be accessed by parents to continue therapy at home confidently and safely.
Are Telehealth for Kids sessions covered by my funding?
At present, the NDIS will cover Telehealth sessions the same way they cover your regular therapy sessions. Those who are self funded and access rebates from Medicare or their private health fund are not able to receive rebates at present. Relevant physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy associations are currently working hard to advocate for telehealth services
to be covered by these methods of funding during the COVID-19 pandemic to assist families to continue to access services.