Container play and posting play for children
At TFK we love to see our babies, toddlers, and pre-schoolers play posting games. It begins from about 12-15 months and involves dropping or “posting” objects into different containers (e.g. a bowl). Children still play posting games in more complex ways into preschool.
Posting helps develop:
- Fine motor skills
- Finger dexterity
- Strength in arms
- Eye-hand coordination
- Cause and effect – I do something and something happens (e.g. noise when drop toy into an object).
- Object permanence – if I can’t see something, it’s still there.
- Language development – in/out, big/little, full/empty
- Learn about size – why does this fit, something else doesn’t
At TFK we have a range of posting toys to use with our babies up until school age.
- Ball posting toys
- Shape sorters
- Money boxes – from babies to 4-5 year olds
- Car zig zag
- Post box
- Connect 4
Toys to make at home:
It’s very easy to make posting toys/play posting games at home using a few household items.
- Shoe boxes + plastic eggs
- Spoons in cups
- Ping pong drop – tall container with top and bottom cut out
- Pegs into containers – can pull off and drop in
- Scarves in containers
- Tissue boxes
- Push pom poms into slits in a container
- Bubble container (empty) + wand
This is just a beginning – please share your ideas with us.
Our lovely OTs, Jane, Pauline, Rebecca, and Belle, will be happy to give you suggestions and ideas.
Stay safe, happy, and well,