Telehealth for Kids
Introducing Telehealth services – Australia-wide
Therapies for Kids is excited to announce we are now offering secure Telehealth (virtual) sessions across Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Pathology. This enables our therapist’s to expertly deliver their skills, knowledge and therapy to you and your child online via a web-based video conferencing platform.
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth or video-conferencing allows our professional therapists to deliver our services online. We carefully guide and advise parents on the necessary techniques specific to your child. We carefully ‘coach’ parents and give them the skills to deliver therapy in their home. Therapists can assess children and offer advice/feedback to support them to maintain their level of function if they are unable to come into the clinic. All you need is a Smartphone, tablet, or computer and a reliable internet connection.
What are the benefits of Telehealth?
There are numerous benefits to our Telehealth for Kids services and they will vary according to the child and families circumstances. Fundamentally, we believe the key benefits include:
- Flexibility: in our ability to provide therapy to clients at home.
- Choice: between In Clinic or Out of Clinic services.
- Consistency of therapy: despite possible interruptions due to COVID-19 or common cold and flu like symptoms, your therapy can continue, your child's development need not be interrupted.
- Continuity of care: the ability to access our services from anywhere in Australia, i.e. you can continue your regular therapy session even while on holidays!
Therapists will work alongside parents to develop individualised therapy and education programs to be delivered online in a convenient and accessible manner without compromising the health and safety of our children, families, and local community.
How is Telehealth delivered?
Telehealth for Kids sessions are conducted using “Google Meet”. Google Meet is available as an Application and also accessible through your web browser. Families will be emailed a link prior to their session, which they can click on at their allocated time in order to join the session. Further details on how to use Google Meet will be emailed to parents a few days prior to their session.
What will a Telehealth for Kids session look like?
- Under our current model, session times for existing clients remain the same as per their current In Clinic schedule. If your circumstances have changed due to having other children at home or you are now working from home, session times can be somewhat flexible. New clients will be allocated times as available when the appointment is made with reception.
- Telehealth for Kids will combine education and virtual therapy to conduct holistic sessions allowing parents to understand how to conduct their home sessions and the theory behind why each activity or exercise is important.
- Each therapist, working from home or in our clinic, has access to a Therapist’s Toolkit which includes everyday equipment items that families are likely to have access to in their home.
- Telehealth for Kids has developed ingenious ‘at home’ activities and therapies that rely on equipment commonly found in most people’s home e.g. tables, chairs, stools, books, balls, and other toys.
- Therapists will be able to demonstrate relevant activities or exercises that you can do with your child at home using these items and offer real time advice and feedback on how you can help your child complete these tasks successfully.
- Therapies for Kids has also developed a number of digital resources, including handouts, videos, and exercise programs which can be accessed by parents to continue therapy at home confidently and safely.
Are Telehealth for Kids sessions covered by my funding?
At present, the NDIS will cover Telehealth sessions the same way they cover your regular therapy sessions.
For those who are self-funded and access rebates from Medicare or their private health fund, we are unable to process the claim through the HiCaps system at present. Your claim will need to be lodged directly by yourself.
Relevant Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy associations are currently working hard to advocate for Telehealth services to be covered by these methods of funding during the COVID-19 pandemic to assist families to continue to access services. We will keep you informed as and when the funding access changes.